OKFreeWheel
Welcome to Oklahoma FreeWheel's "forum" pages.

Whether you've got a burning question for a FreeWheel veteran or can't wait to share something special you've located along this year's route, this is the place for you.

And if you don't find a category or forum that fits your question or comment, let us know and we'll consider adding it to the mix (email forum@okfreewheel.com).

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OKFreeWheel
Welcome to Oklahoma FreeWheel's "forum" pages.

Whether you've got a burning question for a FreeWheel veteran or can't wait to share something special you've located along this year's route, this is the place for you.

And if you don't find a category or forum that fits your question or comment, let us know and we'll consider adding it to the mix (email forum@okfreewheel.com).

OKFreeWheel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pace of ride

4 posters

Go down

Pace of ride Empty Pace of ride

Post  Ripleycowboy Wed May 30, 2012 9:23 am

New rider to Freewheel. Can anyone tell me what time the average rider gets to the next town? Is there a time limit? I plan on taking my time but don't want to hold anyone up. Thanks

Ripleycowboy

Back to top Go down

Pace of ride Empty no hurry

Post  chilihoops Wed May 30, 2012 11:40 am

There are those that blaze the route and then those that enjoy each mile. People that don't like the heat may leave at sunrise. I normally don't get on the road until 8 plus

chilihoops

Back to top Go down

Pace of ride Empty Re: Pace of ride

Post  Laura in NTX Wed May 30, 2012 12:39 pm

We are the folks that leave early. We like early morning and don't like the heat quite so much. It also gives us time to enjoy lunch and take pictures. We are not blazing fast riders, nor are we the slowest. Figuring in lunch, photo ops, rest stops, etc., we count on an hour for every ten miles traveled. We ride faster than 10 mph on the road, so that's not an hour saddle time. It really is a tour and easily accommodates the style of riding you enjoy.

Laura in NTX

Back to top Go down

Post  Ennis Lion Thu May 31, 2012 8:57 pm

Ripleycowboy wrote:New rider to Freewheel. Can anyone tell me what time the average rider gets to the next town? Is there a time limit? I plan on taking my time but don't want to hold anyone up. Thanks

There is no check in or way to determine the average. I ride in about 3pm plus or minus 2 hours. There are some things to think of 1) the SAG's stop at 5pm, 2) The better camping sites go early, 3) The shower lines are longer later, 4) you want to hand wash your ride clothes and hang them to dry early enough to have dry clothes to pack! 5) slow riders have to look for food in the left overs. However for me and many others the time on the road and the road stops are why we ride. So we enjoy ourselves then take a campsite in the sun, wait in line for showers, scrounge around for food, and do it all again. The other side is riders often wake you up at 3am! you'll hear zip, zip, zip. If you want to take off early you may want to have lights on your bicycle. So generally you have about 10 hours (7-5) a day to do 70 miles. Fast rides only need 4-5 hours and can be in the next campsite before noon. Generally I think you will see most riders coming in from 1-4 pm

Ennis Lion

Back to top Go down

Pace of ride Empty Rain Pace

Post  GoWest Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:03 pm

Speaking of showers, any suggestions for wet weather? For example, should I get bike lights, fenders and other accessories for riding in the rain or just wait out the storm? What do the veterans do?

GoWest

Back to top Go down

Post  chilihoops Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:19 am

Get wet...One thing I learned is that a poncho/trash bag does not breath. There are some inexpensive rain coats that vent moisture very well

chilihoops

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down