OKFreeWheel
Welcome to Oklahoma FreeWheel's "forum" pages.

Whether you've got a burning question for a FreeWheel veteran or can't wait to share something special you've located along this year's route, this is the place for you.

And if you don't find a category or forum that fits your question or comment, let us know and we'll consider adding it to the mix (email forum@okfreewheel.com).

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OKFreeWheel
Welcome to Oklahoma FreeWheel's "forum" pages.

Whether you've got a burning question for a FreeWheel veteran or can't wait to share something special you've located along this year's route, this is the place for you.

And if you don't find a category or forum that fits your question or comment, let us know and we'll consider adding it to the mix (email forum@okfreewheel.com).

OKFreeWheel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good puncture-resistant tire

5 posters

Go down

Good puncture-resistant tire Empty Good puncture-resistant tire

Post  RonD Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:54 am

I've used the Continental Gatorskin puncture-resistant tires ($55) for years here in the Texoma area. I've also used tire liners, but found the Gatorskin almost bomb-proof. They have a fine threadcount casing (170 tpi), a Kevlar liner, and a polyamide liner. I've never had a flat from the ubiquitous goatheads or "stickers" with these tires. I did get a glass sliver in my rear tire during Freewheel 2011 near Ponca City, and never could get it completely clear. I replaced tubes more than once before I borrowed a spare tire from a friend. I don't think any tire would have survived that, so I guess I'll watch more closely for glass on the shoulder. Next year I will definately bring a spare tire. Not sure whether I'll carry it on the bike, or keep it with my luggage. The "foldable" version of the Gatorskin ($65) could be carried strapped to a seat bag.

RonD

Back to top Go down

Good puncture-resistant tire Empty Totally Agree with RonD

Post  mapdude Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:09 am

Continental Gatorskins are incredible tires. A little pricey, but worth every penny. Got 'em on my Bacchetta Giro 26, along with Mr. Tuffy liners, and haven't had a flat yet!

But last year I rode from San Antonio to the start of OKFW 2011 in Durant on Forte Metro K's from Performance Bike. Got 'em for around $15 on sale. The "K" indicates Kevlar. Made it all the way past Bristow without a flat, then had a pesky little wire worm prick the front tube to give me a slow leak.

My Catrike Expedition came with Schwalbe Marathon Racers - extremely durable tires.

mapdude

Back to top Go down

Good puncture-resistant tire Empty Another good one

Post  rdubois Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:54 am

I now have well over 1000 miles on a set of Specialized Armadillos without a single flat, and they appear to have a lot more life left in them. I don't have experience with a wide range of tires, but the ones that came stock on my bike only lasted a few hundred miles before I started having frequent flats.

I expected the Armadillos to feel a little sketchy due to the harder rubber compound, but surprisingly, they seem to be just as grippy as any other tire I've used. I don't know how they compare to the Gatorskins, and for all I know they could be the same tire, re-branded for Specialized. They're in the same price range ($60 folding/kevlar bead). Another cyclist told me he got over 3000 miles out of a set of Armadillos.

rdubois

Back to top Go down

Good puncture-resistant tire Empty Schwalbe Marathon Plus

Post  TXPegasus Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:58 pm

My new Dolly Girl (my Navara Safari) came complete with Continental Town Rides which were touted to be puncture resistant. And the big buzzer goes off....WRONG! After 3 punture flats, a thorn then a staple followed by a nail on three different rides I decided it was time to swap out.

Dolly now cruises with the ever dependable Schwalbe Marathon Plus 26x1.75 tires. Thick - yes, heavy - yes but then again so is the bike which weighs in as 30lbs BEFORE I add all my doo-dads. I have great respect for this brand and type of tire since I use the same on my Fuji (who is staying home this year and so far she's only slightly jealous to not be riding Cool ).

Cheap tires or flimsy tires can really ruin a good ride with flats.

TXPegasus

Back to top Go down

Good puncture-resistant tire Empty SCHWALBE MAROTHON PLUS

Post  calypso56 Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:42 pm

I to ride with Schwalbe Marothon Plus tires on Calypso (my TeraTrike Zoomer ) since I put them on I have about 800 plus miles on them with no flats! I'm hooked on them. They are the same tires I will be using this year to ride with "Mapdude" from San Antonio to (and on) OKFW .

calypso56

Back to top Go down

Good puncture-resistant tire Empty Gators/amen

Post  Boobboot Mon May 21, 2012 6:16 pm

Check out biketiresdirect.com, a little late now but I ordered some gators ins for about 45.00 during the winter. Smile

Boobboot

Back to top Go down

Good puncture-resistant tire Empty Re: Good puncture-resistant tire

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum